About the Artist:
Raquel Morcillo Gallego was born and raised in Sevilla, Spain. At the age of 25, she married and became a Navy spouse. She has lived in New York, Maine, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, Japan and Washington.
Raquel has had an interest in painting ever since she was a little girl, drawing on every piece of paper that she could find. Watching her dad paint on the weekends kept her inspired. Her busy schedule as a military wife and mother of two girls kept her from pursuing her dream until 2013. Raquel is a pastelist by preference and loved this medium from the very first moment she picked up her very first piece of this chalky substance. It is a magical medium that reflects light in such ways that the painting's surface emits a glow. I also have a passion for charcoal and graphite to create monochromatic portraits and scenery.
She is mainly a portrait painter, but also enjoys animals, still life and landscapes. Her style of painting is realism. Many viewers are drawn to her art thinking that it’s a photograph, but in reality, her vision is quite the opposite of a camera’s effect. A photograph tends to flatten an image, reducing all relationships of color and shade. With each painting, her goal is to create as much life into an individual, capturing the essence of the person she’s painting. Capturing the details is her passion. As a self-taught artist, she’s consistently obsessed with the play of light and shadows, challenging herself to achieve a higher degree of realism.
She can be found on Facebook
Raquel Morcillo-Gallego will create custom commissioned portraits your loved ones and pets.
Contact her through Garry Oak Gallery 360-240-0222.
- Finalist at “Arte Tarifa” exhibition, Cadiz, Spain, April
- “GEIJUTSU Break Your Box” Art Exhibition, Misawa City, Japan, October
- Best in show at "Face and Figures" exhibition, The Artist Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA, March
- Honorable mention at “Art Speaks on the Bay” exhibition, Bay School Community Arts Center, Mathews, VA, March
-Best in show at “Face and Figures” exhibition, The Artist Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA, April
- Honorable mention at “Water’s Edge” exhibition, The Artist Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA, June
- Received H. Margulies Bequest Award, 44th Annual Exhibition Pastel Society of America " Endurance Brilliance “, New York, NY, September
- Finalist at 23rd Annual National Exhibition “2017 Renaissance in pastel”, Connecticut Pastel Society, Slater Memorial Museum, Norwich, Connecticut, October.
- Honorable mention at “All about animals” exhibition, The Artist Gallery, Virginia Beach, VA, April.